10 weeks of fitness to Christmas
Last modified on 19 October 2023
Can you believe it? It's just 10 weeks until Christmas, and the holiday season will be upon us before we know it!
To help prepare you for a healthy and fit holiday season, we're excited to introduce our '10 weeks of fitness to Christmas' campaign at Willoughby Leisure Centre.
Each week we'll be sharing valuable insights and tips with a special focus to keep you motivated and in great shape as we lead up to the festivities. Without further ado, let the countdown begin!
Week 1 - Preparation
- Book a program review: We encourage you to schedule a free exercise program review with our team as part of your preparation phase. During this session, we'll refresh your workout routine and provide new exercises to keep you motivated. The session duration is 45 minutes. To book your program review, simply complete the online form.
- Schedule your workouts: Sit down each week with your calendar and schedule all your training sessions. Planning is key to staying committed.
- Add extra activity: Block out additional times for walks, swims, or bike rides, ensuring you have at least three exercise sessions scheduled each week.
- Clean out your pantry: Take a look in your cupboards and fridge and remove (or at least hide) any 'less healthy' foods that might tempt you during the holidays.
- Stock up on nutritious foods: Head to the shops and fill your fridge and cupboards with nutritious, easy-to-prepare foods.
Stay motivated, stay healthy, and stay ready for the holiday season! If you have any questions or need further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to us.
Week 2: 'Count to ten'
This week, our focus is on reducing unhealthy habits and embracing decisions that will contribute to your overall well-being and happiness. Sometimes, a moment of reflection before taking action can lead to unexpected, positive outcomes. So, here's your goal for this week:
Action goal: Before you proceed with these activities, take a moment to pause and count to 10. Ask yourself if your choice aligns with your conscious pursuit of a healthier lifestyle.
Consider the following:
- Food choices: Count to 10 before grabbing a snack or indulging in a meal. Ask yourself, 'Am I genuinely hungry?'
- Wine time: Count to 10 before opening the bottle of wine. Question, 'Do I truly need a glass tonight?'
- Screen time: Count to 10 before swiping open the phone or turning on the computer. Is it important or a time waster? Is it the right time for work or should it be family or relaxing time?
- TV time: Count to 10 before switching on the TV. Consider if your time would be better spent exercising or doing something else.
- Morning routine: Count to 10 before pressing the snooze button. Will you regret this later?
Once you've counted to 10 and made a conscious decision, enjoy the choice you've made. This simple practice can lead to a healthier and happier you.
Remember, we're here to support you throughout this journey. If you have any questions or need assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to our team.
Stay motivated, stay healthy, and continue your path to a fit and joyful holiday season!
Week 3: Move more
The focus this week is on 'Move more.'
As the holiday season approaches and our schedules fill with festivities, finding a balance between activities and relaxation becomes even more important. Here are some ideas to help us all maintain an active and vibrant lifestyle:
- Regular movement: Consistent physical activity is a great way to nurture a healthy body and mind. While the Australian physical activity and sedentary behaviour guidelines recommends a goal of 10,000 steps a day, remember that any movement counts towards a healthier you.
- Podcasts on the go: Incorporating podcasts into your daily routine can be a fantastic way to learn and be entertained while on the move. Tune into 'The Paul Taylor Podcast' while enjoying a walk and be inspired about wellness and personal growth.
- Embrace the longer days: Take advantage of the longer days and warmer weather and go for a run, walk, or bike ride in the morning or evening.
- New group fitness classes: We're excited to announce the addition of new small group fitness classes starting today, Monday 30 October, at Willoughby Leisure Centre. These classes offer a diverse range of invigorating workouts, tailored to support your fitness journey. To explore our small group fitness classes, visit our timetable.
- Small changes, big impact: Making small adjustments in your routine can significantly contribute to your overall health. Engaging in social activities like walking with friends or family, calling someone during your walk, or making slight changes in your daily commuting patterns can boost your wellbeing.
Let's all make an extra effort to incorporate more movement in our days in the upcoming weeks. Remember, our team is here to offer support and guidance whenever you need it.
Week 4: Balance nutrition
In week 4 of our '10 weeks of Fitmas to Christmas' campaign, we're highlighting the importance of balanced nutrition during the festive season.
With numerous celebrations ahead, maintaining a balanced diet is key. This week, we'll explore balanced nutrition and lifestyle, emphasising healthy choices while still enjoying occasional treats guilt-free.
Selecting unprocessed foods and beverages for majority (about 80%) of your daily intake is a key step towards enhancing overall health. Unprocessed foods are in their natural state at the time of purchase, preserving their nutrients like fibre, protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and plant compounds.
Following the Australian Dietary Guidelines, aim for a variety of nutritious foods daily, such as vegetables, fruits, lean proteins, and whole grains. Emphasise healthy fats, minimise saturated fats, sugars, and alcohol, and stay hydrated with water.
For treats, enjoy in moderation (around 20% of your daily intake), such as a small piece of cake or a glass of wine.
Let's together strike a balance between nutrition and lifestyle in the coming weeks.
Week 5: Happy workouts
This week, we're all about happy workouts, aiming to infuse joy and satisfaction into every exercise session. Here's a quick guide to help you make the most out of your workouts:
- Embrace your preferences: Find what makes you happy and motivated in your workout routine. Whether it's running, lifting weights, or any activity, customise your routine to suit your preferences.
- Lighten up: Don't take exercise too seriously. Enjoy the process and find moments to laugh - it reduces stress and makes the experience more enjoyable.
- Buddy up: Invite a friend or family member to join you at Willoughby Leisure Centre for a workout. This month, friends and family can join WLC for 30 days for just $30. Promotion ends Thursday 30 November.
- Tune in: Join a group fitness class, where motivating music adds enjoyment to your workout.
- Explore outdoors: Attend the Saturday outdoor training class at 8:15 am for a mood-boosting workout. Book your slot via the Member Portal.
- Every minute counts: Short bursts of exercise can significantly boost your mood and energy levels throughout the day.
- Compete with yourself: Track your progress and surpass your own achievements, finding satisfaction in personal growth.
Let's continue this journey together, infusing happiness into every workout at Willoughby Leisure Centre.
Week 6: Benefits of strength training
In Week 6 of our '10 weeks of fitness to Christmas' campaign, we're highlighting the benefits of strength training.
The primary goal of strength training is simple yet transformative: to enhance your physical strength.
Benefits of strength training:
- Enhanced metabolism: Building muscle mass boosts your metabolism, aiding in weight management and overall health.
- Improved joint health: Strong muscles support joints, potentially reducing the risk of injury and improving overall joint health.
- Functional independence: Strength training enhances daily activities, making them more manageable as we age.
- Increased bone density: Strength training helps maintain and improve bone density, reducing the risk of osteoporosis.
Incorporate strength training into your weekly routine:
- Balanced routine: Mix it up by integrating strength workouts with your regular exercise routine. Try alternating strength training days with cardio or join a combination class offering both.
- Consistency is key: Aim for at least 2 to 3 strength training sessions per week. Consistency is crucial for building and maintaining strength over time.
- Start with the basics: If you're unsure how to begin, consider booking a session with one of our trainers in the Health Club. They can guide you through fundamental strength exercises tailored to your fitness level and goals.
- Join a class: Attend one of our specialised strength training classes designed to cater to all levels.
These classes provide a structured environment led by experienced instructors. Remember, strength training isn't just for bodybuilders—it's for everyone, paving the way to a healthier, more vibrant life.
Week 7: Mindfulness
This week, our spotlight is on mindfulness and we're redirecting our attention toward helping you discover balance and tranquility amidst the bustling season leading up to Christmas.
Here are some ways to integrate mindfulness into your daily routine:
- Set aside a few minutes for meditation, deep breathing, or mindfulness exercises to clear your mind and alleviate stress.
- Take a moment each day to reflect on positive experiences and express gratitude for the things in your life.
- Enjoy a yoga session or a series of stretches to relax your muscles and enhance flexibility. Join one of our yoga classes at Willoughby Leisure Centre for a guided experience.
- Immerse yourself in music, allowing the melody to be a soothing escape and a way to de-stress.
- Unplug from screens briefly; power down your phone, computer, and other devices to give your mind a respite from digital distractions.
- Explore simple breath-work exercises to infuse a sense of calm into your daily routine.
The essence of mindfulness resides in the present moment. Take a breath and reset!
Week 8:HIIT workouts
As we navigate the whirlwind of holiday preparations, finding time for workouts can be a challenge. That's why this week is all about tackling time constraints head-on with swift and effective High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) workouts. When time is of the essence, HIIT is your perfect solution!
HIIT involves short bursts of vigorous exercise followed by brief periods of rest. While it's not recommended to engage in a full HIIT session every day, incorporating up to three HIIT sessions into your weekly routine can unlock numerous health benefits.
Here's a simple yet powerful HIIT workout that you can squeeze into even the busiest schedule:
Express Energy Burst HIIT:
- Jumping jacks (30 seconds): Start with a classic to get your heart rate up.
- Bodyweight squats (30 seconds): Engage those leg muscles for a quick burn.
- Push-ups (30 seconds): Strengthen your upper body with this classic move.
- High knees (30 seconds): Bring those knees up as high as you can to fire up your core.
- Mountain climbers (30 seconds): Amp up the intensity with this full-body move.
- Rest (30 seconds): Catch your breath and prepare for the next round.
Repeat this circuit 2-3 times, and you've completed a high-intensity workout in just a few minutes!
Remember, HIIT is all about intensity, not duration. Opting for a short HIIT session is better than skipping a workout altogether, especially during this hectic time. It's a quick and efficient way to keep your fitness momentum going.
Feel free to customize the exercises based on your preferences and fitness level. If you're unsure or have any concerns, our team is here to help—reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (02) 9958 5799.